Saturday, February 9, 2013

Our Garden (With No Help from Me!)

Just felt like taking some photos out in the garden today.  As many of you know, housing (and outdoor living spaces) are one of the big variables in Foreign Service life.  We are so lucky here in Mexico to have a great home and a small yard and garden.  We are incredibly grateful.  I am so excited that I have some calla lilies coming in!  These were a gift from our good friend, April, who luckily has a ton in her back yard and gave me some. I also had the gardener plant my poinsettias from the holidays in the backyard to see how they would do.  Hope you enjoy the photos...and full disclosure, I have a complete brown thumb so don't think this beauty has anything to do with my hard work!  I'm trying desperately right now to grow (and not to kill!) a whole bunch of herbs so I'll let you know how it goes...


Thinking of those in the Northeastern United States dealing with this big storm this weekend.  Sending you warm thoughts and prayers for safety and for your electricity to be restored.



Row of Calla Lilies...
only one blooming in this row...
In bloom...


Closeup of the other blooming Calla Lily (on the other side
of the garden)
Poinsettias







The Pug is certainly enjoying his garden...


5 comments:

  1. So lovely. When I first moved to Mexico I got a call from my fella asking if he could borrow my SUV because he had "30 alcatraces" he wanted to bring home and they didn't fit in his car. Now, alcatraz = albatross, and my guy is a bit of a bleeding heart, especially when it comes to animals. We live on the sea, so I imagined he was going to bring home two and a half dozen large, injured seabirds for rehabilitation. You cannot imagine my relief when I discovered alcatraz also meant calla lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. My husband is a FSO and we are headed to Mexico City this summer. We have a small dog and I am already worrying about the trouble we may have getting her into Mexico. The regulations seem complicated. I would love to chat if you don't mind answering a few q's from an overprotective dog owner. My email is: ericacolton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hi Erica--how exciting that you're coming to Mexico City! I'd be happy to answer any and all questions, and you don't have to worry about sounding "overprotective" with me.......I tell everyone my two pups are my oldest children! :) We could not imagine life here without them, and it wasn't easy to get them here but hopefully you won't experience the same thing. But more about that over email. So glad you're enjoying the blog and thanks for your comment! Talk to you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alaina! I just found out they are allowed to keep my dog in the airport, including over the weekend, if there are issues. Yikes. I am already working on the bilingual forms for my vet. I look forward to chatting with you via email. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete